TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Terms of Business
Burlow and Spencer Ltd is acting with Section 84 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.
Burlow and Spencer Ltd registered office is, 95 Spencer Street Spencer Street, Birmingham, England, B18 6DA, Company Registration number 07743877
The activities of the business will be immigration related and the business entity will take on global clients who are seeking immigration advice; this can be clients who are in the UK and also clients who are looking to enter the UK. All legal and support work is supervised by our European Attorney.
The firm`s supervisor is regulated by The National Association of Romanian Bars, this can be found at http://www.ifep.ro/Justice/Lawyers/LawyersPanel.aspx
- Places and hours of business
Burlow and Spencer Ltd registered office is, 95 Spencer Street Spencer Street, Birmingham, England, B18 6DA. Our office open hours are generally between 9am and 5.30pm Monday to Friday, although we may make appointments outside of these hours when essential to the interest of our clients.
- People responsible for your work
The person responsible for your work will be listed on the Client Care Letter with any other members of our team who may assist. We try hard not to change the person acting for you but should this become necessary we will notify you of the change in writing, explaining why the change was necessary.
- Charges, Expenses and Payments
We will make you aware of all charges and costs in relation to your immigration matter from the outset. However in some circumstances if we need to instruct a professional to assist with your application then these fees will also need to be paid by you. In any event we will request your authorisation prior to engaging with any third party.
- Payments on Account and Disbursements
All payments should be directly to Burlow & Spencer Ltd. We will highlight all disbursements from the outset.
All debit and credit card payments will be subject to 3.5% card handling fee.
All payments are taken in GBP.
- How Your Matter will be Progressed
We will update you on the progress of your matter at each interval of the process.
- Financial Aspects
This firm is bound by rules and regulations of the banking system and the guidance laid down by our regulatory body, listed below are the acceptable methods of payments
- Credit or Debit Cards: Visa credit and debit cards, MasterCard credit and debit cards, Switch/Maestro debit cards, Delta debit cards, Visa Electron cards
- Personal Cheques: these take seven working days to clear – made payable to ‘Burlow & Spencer Ltd’
- Bankers Drafts: these also take seven working days to clear
- Chaps Transfers: these can be instant transfers, but for our purposes monies being sent by this method should be cleared in our Account before the close of business the day before required – You can obtain more information about this from your bank/building society
- Internet Banking that uses the BACS Transfer method: this takes three working days for your monies to reach our Account, but for our purposes monies being sent by this method should be cleared in our Account before the close of business the day before required – More information about this can be obtained from your bank/building society
Any money received on your behalf will be held in our client account. Interest will be calculated and paid to you at the rate set by National Westminster Bank plc. That of course may change. The period for which interest will be paid normally runs from the date(s) when funds are received by us until the date(s) on the cheque(s) issued to you.
- We are also committed to promoting equality and diversity in all of its dealings with clients, third parties and employees.
- Our offices are open between 9am and 5.30pm, Monday to Friday though we will make appointments outside of these hours when essential to the interest of our clients. We have been, where possible made accessible for people with mobility difficulties or disabilities. However, should you require an appointment, please contact us so that we can ensure adequate provision is made.
We use the information you provide primarily for the provision of legal services to you and for related purposes including:
- Updating and enhancing client records
- Analysis to help us manage our practice
- Statutory returns
- Legal and regulatory compliance
Our use of that information is subject to your instructions, the Data Protection Act 2018 and our duty of confidentiality. Please note that our work for you may require us to give information to third parties such as expert witnesses and other professional advisers. You have a right of access under data protection legislation to the personal data that we hold about you.
We may from time to time send you information which we think might be of interest to you. If you do not wish to receive that information please notify our office in writing.
- Vetting of Files and Confidentiality
External firms or organisations may conduct audit or quality checks on our practice. These external firms or organisations are required to maintain confidentiality in relation to your files.
- Distance Selling
We may not have met with you, so the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 apply to this file. This means that you have the right to cancel your instructions to us within seven working days of receiving this letter. You can cancel your instructions by contacting us by post, fax or email to this office. Once we have started work on your file, you may be charged if you then cancel your instructions.
- Money Laundering
Proof of Identity
Storage of Papers
- The law now requires Law Firms, as well as banks, building societies and others, to obtain satisfactory evidence of the identity of their Clients. This is because Law Firms who deal with money and property on behalf of their Clients can be used by criminals wishing to launder money.
- In order to comply with the law on money laundering, we need to obtain evidence of your identity as soon as possible. We would be grateful; therefore, if you would provide us with documents to verify your identity and address, for example a certified copy of your passport, driving licence or birth certificate along with certified copies of receipted utility bills no more than 3 months old. Please note that we do not accept photocopies of identification unless the same has been certified by a Solicitor and we do not accept scanned copies sent by email. Please also note that we will not carry out any work for you unless you have supplied your identification and we have approved the same.
After completing the matter, we are entitled to keep all your papers and documents while money is owing to this firm. We will keep our file of papers (except for any of your papers which you have asked to be returned to you) for no more than six years after sending you the final bill.
We will not destroy documents you have asked us to deposit in safe custody. We do not normally make a charge for retrieving stored papers or deeds in response to continuing or new instructions to act for you. However, we reserve the right to make a charge based on the time we have spent on reading papers, writing letters or other work necessary to comply with the instructions. There is a £25.00 annual fee charged for the safe storage of papers. Please note that once your matter has completed and you wish to have your file of papers transferred elsewhere, you will need to pay our costs for photocopying your file of papers. The costs of this will depend on the size of your file but will not exceed £50.00.
At Burlow & Spencer Ltd, we try to provide the best possible service to our clients and, in order to do this we need to know from you if you feel dissatisfied with any aspect of the service you receive, including your bill. Should you have any Complaint about any aspect of our services or our charges, please let us know straight away and we will attempt to remedy the problem. You can send your complaint by post at our office address or by email to email@example.com, we will then investigate your complaint in accordance with our complaints procedure and will take whatever steps are necessary to remedy the problem. Should you require a copy of our complaints procedure please let us know and we will provide you with a copy straight away.
If at the conclusion of our complaints process you are not satisfied with the outcome you can ask the legal Ombudsman (address PO Box 6806), Wolverhampton, WV1 9WJ, website www.legalombudsman.org.uk telephone 0300 555 0333 to consider the complaint.
Normally, you will need to bring a complaint to the legal ombudsman within six months of receiving a final written response from us about your complaint.
You may terminate your instructions to us in writing at any time but we can keep all your papers and documents while there is still money owed to us for fees and expenses. For example, you may decide you do not want to proceed or you no longer want to use our services. We will of course charge you for the work we have done and the disbursements that have been incurred. We charge our abortive costs based on the time and resources spent and based upon the person handling your matter. We will expect you to settle any outstanding monies immediately except in circumstances where you have discussed it with the Fee Earner and reached a separate agreement. Please note that we will charge interest at a rate of 10% on the total amount outstanding for any payments made after the completion or late payments where you have exceeded the time allowed to pay.
We may decide to stop acting for you only with good reason, e.g. if you do not pay an interim bill or there is a conflict of interest. We must give you reasonable notice that we will stop acting for you. If you or we decide that we should stop acting for you, you will pay our charges up until that point. These are calculated on an hourly basis as set out in these terms and conditions.
Our 7 day processing times will only be applicable to cases where you the client provide all the relevant information. By not providing the relevant information we reserve the right to deduct all our expenses and costs from the fees held on account.
You have the right to cancel within 7days, providing you have not taken advantage of any of our services, if you decide to cancel within the 7 day period you will be billed for the work up to the point of cancellation.
These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the law of England & Wales and you hereby submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of England and Wales accordingly.
Paid Through Credit
If paid by card through Allied Wallet Your credit card statement will read ALW*BurlowSpencer442033188334.
If you have paid a fixed fee and subsequently request a refund of some or all of that money, we will refund any money due to you after deducting any direct costs to us associated with the processing of your payment and the processing of any refund and also any costs (including VAT and disbursements) which we have incurred in accordance with your instructions up to the date of your request for a refund.